Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 7:43 PMThere's been a change in the way we send parameters to gadgets which use Content type="url". In short, we started sending the user prefs parameters after a # - the URL fragment identifier. As it turns out, this change caused problems for developers who rely on using URL parameters in server side code - since the url fragment isn't sent to the server.
If this change caused trouble for your gadget then we have figured out a way to exempt gadgets individually for up to about two weeks - that's until May 4. So time is still tight but not as tight. Read on to the end of this post for details.
We didn't intend to break any gadgets and I would normally announce changes like this on the blog and in the forum earlier. The team discussed ways that affected gadgets can deal with the new location of the parameters for type=url gadgets and have a couple ideas for fixes.
A side-effect of the second fix may be that your gadget's initial render can happen sooner which can improve user-perceived performance (while taking roughly the same time to load overall).
We realize this unintended consequence may be difficult to deal with immediately. So we've figured out a way to exempt specific gadgets for up to two weeks if you need the time. Just give the URL of your gadget in this forum thread and we'll add you to the list.
I encourage anyone to post specific questions about fixes for your code in new threads in the iGoogle Developer forum. While it's not normally the best place for help with server-side code, in this case you may find other developers in similar situations.